Programme Objectives – PhD International Relations
The Program aims at imparting knowledge, skills and general competence defined in the following objectives:
- To impart advanced knowledge and critical thinking regarding regional and global politics, and to develop strong research skills through using different schools of thought and theoretical paradigms along with their application as well as an interdisciplinary approach.
- To render the advanced scientific research methods ranging from quantitative and deductive methods to qualitative and inductive methods, as per requirement of the research area.
- To expose the candidate to a healthy academic learning environment with numerous opportunities to share and exchange perspectives.
- To enable the scholar for establishing independent and clear yet logical argument, scholarly vision, and leadership skills in order to enhance and test decision-making and policy implementation skills.
- To hone notable professional skills to enhance the global career perspective both in the government and non-governmental organizations.
Programme Outcomes – PhD International Relations
On the completion of degree the following outcomes are expected:
- Familiarization with the broader issue areas, vast research frontiers of the discipline, and real contribution to the development of new knowledge.
- Potential to disseminate research through recognized national and international channels, while broadening the borders of knowledge by contributing at least one scientific research paper in the field in national and /or international refereed journals.
- Participated in conferences and seminars thereby connecting their research to the relevant debates and discussions which in turn enhance the level of motivation and learning horizon.
- Gained skillful application of the knowledge gained at policy and societal level, potential to challenge established knowledge and practice in the specialized field, and proven capability to handle complex academic issues in a scholarly manner.
- Ability to express the established viewpoint based on critical, deeply analytical, and rational argument through written or verbal mediums, and to demonstrate both breadth and depth of knowledge in chosen area of specialization in order to advance the career goals.
a. MS/MPhil Degree (18 years of education with 6 credit hrs. research) in relevant discipline from HEC recognized University with minimum 3.0 out of 4.0 CGPA under semester system OR 1st Division under annual system.
b. Selection in the respective program will be subject to availability of seats, merit based on academic qualification, valid GRE International / NTS / NUML devised GAT- subject score and interview.
c. Applicants with valid GRE International/GAT-Subject from NTS will have to pass written/subjective portion of NUML GAT-S (as per schedule of respective Faculties) to secure admission.
d. Candidate qualified for interview will have to submit and present a Statement of Purpose1500-2000 words (inclusive of title of research, intended field, potential research and passion for area of research) for PhD studies at the time of interview.
e. For Management Sciences only: Candidates who have completed 30 credit hours of coursework in the case of professional degrees at the master's level, such as MBA and MS in Project Management are also eligible. However, preference will be given to those who have MS Degree with research at Level-7.
|Foreign Policy Analysis
|International Politics of European Union
|Seminar on Contemporary Global Issues
|Advanced Theories of International Relations
|Advanced Research Methodology
|The U.S. in World Politics
|International Politics of Central Asia
|Foreign Policies of Major Powers
|Russia in Global Politics
|Contemporary Regional and Global Issues
|Latin America in Global Politics
|International Politics of Asia Pacific
|Contemporary International Issues and the Muslim World
|Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Contemporary International Relations
|Gender Debate in International Relations
|Democracy and Development
|Nuclear Deterrence and Strategic Stability
|State, Society and Process of Globalization
|Changing Dynamics of International Security
|Dynamics of Counter Terrorism
|Strategic Culture of Pakistan
|Foreign Policy of Pakistan
|Political Islam in Contemporary World
|China in World Politics
|International Development: Building a World of Sustainable Peace
|International Politics of South Asia
|International Political Economy
|International Politics of European Union
|International Politics of the Indian Ocean Region
|Contemporary International Politics of Middle East
|International Politics of the Americas (North & South)
|International Politics of Environment
|International Organizations and Regimes
|Conflict Management and Resolution
|Disarmament, Arms Control and Nuclear Non-Proliferation
|War and Modern Strategy
|Seminar on Issues related to Area Studies
|Seminar on Migration and Refugees
|Seminar on Selected Issues of National Security of Pakistan